How long does it usually take to get a Green Card for living in USA?

i’m a 16 year old student, studying in America costs too much money, but i’m hoping to live over there once i’v finished college. i currently live in London

Thinking ahead a bit (5 years ahead lol) i have heard that getting a green card to live in USA is really difficult and takes both time and a bit of money.

how much time does it take to get one? from beginning the process to being accepted. much paperwork?

and how about Canada too?

4 thoughts on “How long does it usually take to get a Green Card for living in USA?”

  1. To get an employer to sponsor you to come to the USA you need a masters degree in engineering. Canada will settle for a bachelor’s degree some times.

    Otherwise you have to find a US citizen to marry you,

  2. You need an immediate blood relative (parent, sibling or adult child over age 21) who is a US citizen and who has sufficient income and assets to guarantee your support for 10 years to sponsor you. If your sponsor’s petition is accepted, you wait in line for admission. After admission, then you can get the green card.

    What’s your citizenship? What’s your relationship to your sponsor? Siblings from some countries are waiting two decades or more for admission. That’s how long the line is ahead of you.

  3. You cant apply for a greencard, there isint even a form.

    Either direct family or employer apply for you.

    For the employment based one you need 10 plus years in a rare skill set.

  4. Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you – but even the employer has to make a good case for you – so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.
    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..
    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.