How to keep US green card while living in Japan?

I am a permanent resident in US.
But I want to live in Japan (Japan citizen) and still keep my US green card. I want to come back US in the future.

How can I do that? Please let me know.

Thank you!

4 thoughts on “How to keep US green card while living in Japan?”

  1. Abandaning residency is not as clear cut as people make it out to be. Each case is judge on its’ own merits.

    To increase your chances of not being judged to have abandoned residency should have filed Form I-131, continue to file your tax returns, keep a domicile in the U.S, bank accounts – basically as much as you can to keep the ties between you and the U.S open including short stays.

  2. You can not. You can not work on trying to get legal status in another country while retaining a US green card.

  3. You have one year. If your intention to stay outside US soil is longer than that, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the US. In this case, you are allowed to live outside the US for up to 24 months.

  4. You have up to one year under normal circumstances, but you can extend that to 2 years, if you apply for a re-entry permit before you leave. But that’s not something you can extend indefinitely. At some point, you’ll have to make a choice.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.